The Cougar Daily

• Coronado State Testing - April 16, juniors arrive at 7:40 and sophomores at 11:30 - April 17, freshman arrive at 7:40 and juniors arrive at 11:30 for CMAS
  • Coronado band receives $35,000 grant to refurbish their band room
  • Juniors/Sophomores take the SAT/PSAT on April 16th, Freshmen take the PSAT and Juniors take the CMAS on April 17.
  • Space Symposium Happening at the Broadmoor Hotel: Space Companies and Organizations Meet from All Over the World to Display What's Happening in the Space Industry and Collaborate

The Cougar Daily

The Cougar Daily

Polls

What do you call them?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

The Power of Music

Music is one of the most common expressions of art. Artists let out their feelings and opinions onto their music, hoping that people will be able to understand and take their own approach about the song’s meaning. Every artist has the power to impact the world.
We all have a favorite song that we love to blast when we are having a good day or even a bad day, to remind us of the good memories that we connect with the song. Research shows that there are such brain chemicals, like dopamine, that specifically activate while listening to music. According to Rob Stein, “These scientists explain the power of music to spark awe”, which explains how our brains reacts our favorite songs: “Neurons in the brain even fire with the beat of the music, which helps people feel connected to one another by literally synchronizing their brain waves when they listen to the same song.” This could explain why sometimes the beating of our hearts start to rise when we rock out to our song. Or why we subconsciously tap our feet or move our heads to the rhythm of the song, and it will go over our heads, unnoticed.
Amanda Counts, Class of 2025, is a musician who holds a strong passion about music: “Music has helped me through a lot of hard times. When I felt alone, I had always had artists and bands who would understand what I was going through. They would take my emotions and experiences and turn it into art.” Amanda added, “My songs are very personal to me. I write about my experiences and passions in a variety of ways and perspectives. Music is one of my biggest forms of expression and it allows me to share my true thoughts and identity in a way that makes the most sense to me. The variety of instruments that can be found in a song is truly incredible. From a young age, I’ve always favored vocals and lyrics over everything in music. There is so much variety and individuality that comes with singing that I’ve always been drawn to, from vocal runs to fry screams, it’s all very special to me.”
“It’s a way to get out of the world and into another reality,” Lisette Rodriguez, Class of 2025 commented. It is true as we can find escape and get lost in our music.
I think we can all agree that the greatest things have come from music. Concerts make you connect with people who share a common passion which can be rare sometimes. Music does shape us and makes us view the world in different ways. The difference in taste is what makes it special and encourages us to embrace our individuality and accept as a society that music can be found anywhere. You must be willing to tune in to hear it.